Do you charge for initial consultations?
- We charge a $125.00 flat-fee for a consultation that lasts about an hour. During this consultation, we will discuss your case and your options for how to proceed--this is not a meet-and-greet consult, but more of a hands-on, working consult. If you are unable to afford on-going representation, we will try to provide you with self-help resources and to refer you to non-profit organizations that may be able to assist you. Low bono discounts are available based on need.
What is full representation:
- Full representation means that we represent you in all aspects of your case, from communicating with the other party to appearing in court.
What does limited legal services mean?
- Limited legal services, also called unbundled legal services, means that we help you represent yourself in your case. These services can include providing advice specific to your case, drafting or reviewing your documents, and preparing you for court appearances.
How much will it cost?
- Every case is different, so it is difficult to estimate how much your legal matter will cost. Our full hourly rate for attorneys is $250. For full representation, we require an advance fee of 20 hours and an account balance of 15 hours. For trials, we require a larger trial advance fee, which is based on the complexity of your specific case. Fee requirements for limited services vary depending on the kinds of services you need and on the facts of your case. For both full representation and limited legal services, Sound Family Law provides low bono options and discounts for those who qualify.
What does "low bono" mean?
- “Low bono” means that clients with incomes between 200-400% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines may be eligible for a discounted hourly rate. Sound Family Law recognizes that people of moderate means often have a difficult time accessing justice, so we offer a discounted hourly rate to people of moderate means. Issues surrounding your family are very important to you, but lawyer fees can quickly add up. This is why we work with each client to keep costs affordable by offering low bono services.